One of the prominent Anglican Churches in Lagos State – All Saints’ Anglican Church, Ikosi-Ketu will be 40 years old very soon and as part of the celebration of the church attaining this age, some activities have been lined up. At a press conference organized by the 40th Anniversary celebration committee of the church, the Chairman – Dr. Ademola Ogunleye narrated the history of the church as follows:
All Saints’ Anglican Church, Ikosi Ketu initiated by 13 men and supported by All Saints’ Church Yaba (the mother church), started on 11 March, 1979 when it held its first worship service under a block-making factory shed in Taike’s compound, Taike Street, Ikosi, with 106 worshipers in attendance. Taike, whose real name was Reuben Babatunde Osunkoya, was one of the 13 initiators of the idea that an Anglican Church be started at Ikosi at that time.
The new church, the first Anglican Church in Ikosi-Ketu area of Lagos State, worshiped at Taike compound until it moved to its own church building at the present site along Ikosi Road in early 1982. Following the rapid increase of the population of worshipers to nearly 500 at the new site, the present 4,200 capacity state-of-the-art church building was planned, constructed and dedicated for use on the All Saints’ Day, 1 November, 2000 by the then Bishop of Lagos West Diocese, the Rt. Revd. Dr. Peter Awelewa Adebiyi. The church was from 1979 to 1999 administered as part of Lagos Diocese, while from 1999 it had fallen within the Lagos West Diocese following the creation and excision of Lagos West Diocese from Lagos Diocese.
All Saints’ Anglican Church, Ikosi, Ketu is now the headquarters of Ikosi Archdeaconry, one of the over 30 Archdeaconries that make up Lagos West Diocese of which The Rt. Revd. Dr. James Olusola Odedeji has been Bishop since the retirement of Bishop Peter Adebiyi in 2013. The Ikosi Archdeaconry consists of fourteen churches, and it is now headed by The Ven. Ariire Ayo Kolawole, Vicar of All Saints’ Church, Ikosi. Ten Vicars (senior priests) who made their marks in various ways in the development of the church have headed the church since it moved to the present site in 1982. They are listed as follows:
1. Rev. V. S. Adenugba (Late) Superintending Vicar (1981-1983)
2. Rev. Joshua A. Ogunleye (Now Ven.) Superintending Vicar (1984)
3. Rev. N. Adewoye (Late) Vicar (1985 – 1986)
4. Rev. S. Ade George (Now Ven.) Vicar 1986 – Jan. 15, 1991)
5. Rev. Luyi Akinwande (Now Ven.) Vicar (Jan. 15, 1991 – Jan. 15, 1996)
6. Rev. Joshua A. Ogunleye (Now Ven.) Vicar (Jan. 15, 1996 – Jan. 14, 2007)
7. Ven. A. George Adeyeye Vicar (Jan. 15, 2007 – July 30, 2010)
8. Ven. Sunday O. Fajemisin Vicar (July 30, 2010 – April 14, 2013)
9. Ven. Timothy O. S. Ayodele Vicar (April 15, 2013 – Aug. 15, 2016)
10. Ven. Dr. ‘Yemi Agbelusi Vicar (Aug. 15, 2016 – 31st July, 2018)
11. Ven. Ariire Ayo KOlawole Vicar (15th Aug. 2018
By reason of its strategic location at the intersection of some major highways at the Ojota interchange and its nearness to the Toll Gate at the entry point of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway and because of its promotion of a deep sense of community and fellowship among the congregation, the quality of its spiritual and welfare services, the high level of worship provided, and because there is no place for prejudice among members, the church has been a ‘crowd puller’, with a registered membership of nearly 2,000 worshipers.
The church has decided to celebrate its 40th birthday anniversary with thanksgiving pomp, fanfare and merriment on 28 April, 2019 to be preceded by week-long activities starting mainly from 22 April, 2019 because it has considered that Age 40 had biblical and spiritual significance in the life of a church.
The programme slated for the celebration are as follows:
Sunday, 10th March, 2019
– Unveiling of the Anniversary Logo/Programme
7.00 a.m. & 10.00 a.m. Services.
Monday, 11th March, 2019
– Anniversary Holy Communion Service – 5.00 p.m.
Sunday 24th – Wednesday 27th, March, 2019
– Anniversary Crusade – 5.00p.m daily
Monday, 22nd April, 2019
– A. Community Development Initiative/Sanitation – 8.00 a.m.
– B. Picnic/Love Feast – 12.00 noon.
Tuesday, 23rd April, 2019
– Women’s Programme for the Family – 5.00 p.m.
Wednesday, 24th April, 2019
– A. Special Anniversary Divine Hour – 7.30 a.m.
– B. Prostate Talk/Test – 11.00 a.m.
Thursday, 25th April, 2019
~ General Health Screening on Malaria Parasite, BP, Blood Sugar, etc., Eye Screening by Eye Foundation Medical Centre
9.00 a.m. – 5.00 p.m.
Friday, 26th April, 2019
~ Bible Quiz on the Acts of the Apostles among Church Societies – 5.00 p.m.
Saturday, 27th April, 2019
~ A. Visitation to a Less Privileged Home – 8.00 a.m.
~ B. Novelty Match – All Saints Male vs All Saints Female – 8.00 a.m.
~ C. Peter Rufai Football Academy under 21 vs. All Saints’ Youth Team- 9.00a.m.
~ D. Symposium/Lecture: “THE CHURCH AS FACILITATOR IN NATIONAL TRANSFORMATION: SETTING THE AGENDA FOR LAW, POLITY AND ECONOMY” – 4.00 p.m.
Sunday, 28th April, 2019
~ A. Thanksgiving Service – 9.00 a.m.
~ B. Book Launch 1 “The Story of a Worshipping Church-Glorifying God at Forty”
– C. Reception/Book Launch 2 after the Church Service