MEMORY VERSE :
“Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.” John 16:24
BIBLE READING: Matthew 7:7-11
7. Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8. For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10. Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11. If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall Your Father which is in Heaven give good things to them that ask him?
A. Towards the end of His early ministry, Jesus called His disciples aside and said to them in John 16:24:
1. “Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.”
2. I believe The Disciples were shocked to hear Him say this, because they must surely have been praying.
3. What The Lord was actually saying to them was that they had not been asking rightly.
4. This is the case with many Children of God today.
5. When we think we are praying, we are actually complaining, and some of us are even weary in prayer, contrary to The Lord’s Teaching in Luke chapter 18.
6. There is a difference between prayer and complaining.
7. Some of us even accuse God in our prayers!
8. We issue Him queries and present a long list of our good works that should compel Him to do our bidding. This should not be so.
9. Let us learn from the experience of the children of Israel in the wilderness.
10. The Lord said to them in Numbers 14:27-28: “How long shall I bear with this evil congregation, which murmur against me? I have heard the murmurings of the children of Israel, which they murmur against me.Say unto them, As truly as I live, saith The LORD, as ye have spoken in mine ears, so will I do to you:”
B. When we ask God to do something that does not align with His Will, He does not consider that to be a prayer.
1. We cannot coerce or manipulate Him into doing things that are against His Integrity and Honour.
2. If you overhear some people’s prayers, you will be amazed.
3. Some pray that God should kill their “troublesome” spouses so that they can be free to marry someone else! This is not prayer; it is witchcraft!
4. Praying contrary to The Will of God is nothing but lusting after ungodliness.
5. If you are under distress due to the wickedness of fellow human beings, it is enough to ask God for deliverance from all enemies; He know what to do to deliver you.
6. Today, I want you to pray like you have never prayed before, asking God to accomplish His Will concerning whatever situation you are currently in.
7. Ask Him to provide for you, but don’t tell Him how.
8. Tell Him, to promote you but don’t tell Him how.
9. Ask for your long awaited spouse but don’t prescribe for Him.
10. God will answer your prayers today in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
Father, as I present my petitions today, Please let Your Holy Spirit help me to ask according to Your Will, in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR: Deuteronomy 21-22, Ezekiel 12:21-13:7
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN: MY FAITH LOOKS UP TO THEE.
1•My faith looks up to Thee,
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Now hear me while I pray,
Take all my guilt away,
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine!
2•May Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart,
My zeal inspire!
As Thou hast died for me,
Oh, may my love to Thee
Pure, warm, and changeless be,
A living fire!
3•While life’s dark maze I tread,
And griefs around me spread,
Be Thou my guide;
Bid darkness turn to day,
Wipe sorrow’s tears away,
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.
4•When ends life’s transient dream,
When death’s cold, sullen stream
Shall o’er me roll;
Blest Savior, then in love,
Fear and distrust remove;
Oh, bear me safe above,
A ransomed soul!
EMMANUEL=GOD WITH US!